Prevent Elder AbuseBy , February 14, 2017
Elder abuse is a term used to describe any knowing, intentional, or negligent act by a caregiver or any other person that causes harm or a serious risk of harm to an Elder or vulnerable adult.
Types of Elder abuse include physical abuse, financial exploitation, emotional abuse, neglect, sexual abuse and self-neglect.
Signs of abuse include the following:
- Unusual or unexplained injuries (cuts, bruises, burns)
- Unkempt appearance
- Pressure or bedsores
- Confinement against will
- Hesitation to talk openly
- Sudden changes in finances
- Elder Abuse Program — Mille Lacs Band: 320-532-7802
- 24-Hour Crisis Line: 1-866-867-4006
- Elder Care Rights: 1-800-893-4055