Clerk of Court – Civil and Child Support
Position Title: Clerk of Court – Civil and Child Support
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Clerk of Court performs administrative duties for the Tribal Court for all general civil, child support, paternity, small claims, harassment and orders for protection from domestic abuse, electric and Court of Appeal cases; by processing all incoming complaints/petitions. This includes facilitating efficient courtroom proceedings by distributing and tracking case files and documents.
High School Graduate or General Educational Diploma with three or more years of direct Court Clerk or legal administrative work experience required.
Associates degree with five years of progressively responsible administrative work experience required.
Ability to become certified as a Clerk of Court within one year of hire, required.
General knowledge of judicial procedures relevant to civil and criminal cases; and a familiarity with Indian legal system and court systems is preferred but not required.
Excellent human relation skills and ability to work effectively with public and staff required.
Strong computer knowledge and experience in the following: word processing, spreadsheet and ability to operate court management system data base software, required.
Ability to organize work effectively and priorities under timeline pressures; and able to handle multiple tasks and adapt to frequently changing work demands.
Thorough working knowledge of the Band’s statutes of maintaining confidentiality in all court and office matters.
Type 50 words per minute, required and will be tested.
Ability to communicate effectively verbally or in writing.
Valid and current Minnesota Driver’s License and the ability to be insured by the Band’s insurance policy required.
Compliance with the Drug & Alcohol Policy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides limited work direction to the court staff regarding cases and case flow management related to case types.
• Process case files for general civil, small claims, electric, harassment and order for protection from domestic abuse.
• Process case files for child support and paternity cases. The child support cases include petitions and foreign judgments for the Mille Lacs Band entities including the Band Government, Grand Casino Properties and Corporate Ventures.
• Process per capita and employment garnishments related to per capita orders, student loans, State internal revenue service and other various garnishments.
• Serves as the Clerk of Court for the Court of Appeals; however, cases may be rotated with the other clerks.
• Data entry of civil judgments and orders, ensure case status is updated and hearings are resulted in the court management system.
• Responsible for recording of court hearings; mark, stores and files exhibits; maintain court docket and master calendar for the court and court events.
• Notifies all parties of record regarding hearings, continuances, cancellations, rescheduling and other activities of the court.
• Participate in weekly case review meetings with District Judge and Court Administrator.
• Receive and stamp all court filings of all legal pleadings.
• Creating and properly identifying records by date, judge, case title and other identifying information.
• Assist the other Court Clerks and/or serve as the back up in the absence of a Clerk.
• Assists litigants with proper forms, copies of relevant Tribal Law & codes without giving legal advice.
• Files all court documents within respective case jacket, such as petition, complaints, citations, notices, certified mail green cards, return mail, service e of process, affidavits, summons, briefs, subpoenas, motions, certificate of representation, etc.
• Prepare cases for closure; insuring files are complete with case summaries and related documents.
• Assist the Bailiff/Processor with the conduct of court proceedings.
• Travel to the District II and III for court hearings twice a month or when necessary.
• Proofreads Judge’s orders for correct dates, names, addresses, etc.
• Records money received and submits to Court Administrator. Issues receipts to payees.
• Serves as the backup in the absences of the Office Assistant by answering phone, directing to appropriate person and taking message on a rotating basis with the other clerks.
• Answers inquiries and communicates with the public, litigants, attorneys, and internal & external agencies.
• May be required to rotate with the other Court Clerk positions on a six-month basis to ensure cross-training.
• Nature of work is such that incumbent experiences sustained periods of moderate levels of stress from workload, nature of work, or nature of interactions with others, both inside and outside of the Band.
• Work is almost exclusively in doors in a controlled climate area.
• Moderate threat of personal danger or risk while in the courtroom.
• Hours are typically 8-5, but extra hours may be necessary to meet deadlines and maintain workload. May involve some evening or weekend working.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to email@example.com