Transportation Coordinator (NASS)
Position Title: Transportation Coordinator
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Transportation Coordinator serves as the head of the school-wide transportation for the Nay Ah Shing School systems in the Education Division of the Mille Lacs Band and ensures service is provided in all three districts for safe and extremely door-to-door transportation of students.
• High school diploma or GED required
• Five years of prior experience as a public system’s driver or combined education and experience is required.
• Must have current Class B drivers license with school bus and passenger endorsement.
• One to three years of prior experience in a supervisory capacity.
• Clean driving record.
• Current medical card/certification.
• Knowledge of and experience with safety rules and safe work practices for transportation services.
• Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, vendors and others.
• Ability to maintain confidential nature of information.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Experience in and sensitivity to American Indian culture, beliefs and traditions.
• Must have current valid Class B driver’s license with school bus and passenger endorsement.
• Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
• Background investigation required that shows no felony drug conviction and no sexual or crimes-against-a-person conviction at any level.
• A staff person with direct contact with or access to children in care must disclose the arrest, conviction, and applicant background information if that staff person:
(a) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed:
1) a crime against a child;
2) an act of physical or sexual abuse;
4) a felony;
5) the same or similar crimes as those in this subsection listed in the laws of another state or of the United States or of any Tribal law;
(b) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed any misdemeanor offense under Federal, State, or Tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children. The Licensing Committee may evaluate the nature and time of a misdemeanor assault charge as well as other types of misdemeanor crimes not specified in this section to determine whether employment is appropriate.
(c) 8 MLBSA § 1212(a-b)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Overall responsibility for the transportation services provided to the Nay Ah Shing School system, and acts in accordance with the mission, policies and goals established by the Nay Ah Shing School and the Mille Lacs Band.
• Ensure that vehicles are maintained in accordance with safety and legal requirements as well as cleanliness and in proper repair.
• Ensures that vehicles receive scheduled maintenance.
• Keeps detailed and accurate records on each vehicle and defines process for breakdowns/emergency vehicle needs.
• Order vehicle supplies and new vehicles as needed.
• Lays out routes needed by the Nay Ah Shing school students.
• Provides bus safety rules and information for students to Principal, including consequences for non-compliance.
• Ensures process is followed for child drop-off in safe place if nobody is at designated drop-off location.
• Ensures that the processes are in place so children are picked up and returned home safely and on time form school and school sponsored events.
• Handles vehicle breakdowns to ensure no service disruption.
• Supervises transportation staff, leading staff meetings, providing schedules, work direction, performance appraisals and training as needed.
• Ensures staff complete daily safety check on each vehicle.
• Liaison for staff to Principal/Assistant Principal on resolution of parent or student issues.
• Provides resources for staff training in student behavior management.
• Responsible for the ongoing development of smoothly running transportation services in all three districts.
• Manages the transportation services budget, both the current operating budget and assistance with long-range planning.
• Provides the Principal and Commissioner of education with monthly updates on the Transportation are and as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Work exposes incumbent to conditions such as fumes, noxious odors, gases and poor ventilation.
Work exposes incumbent to possible bodily injury from repairs and moving mechanical parts of buses and other means of transportation.
Work requires incumbent to be outdoors and occasionally in hot, cold, or inclement weather.
Hours are typically 8-5, but possibly with some extra hours. May involve some evening or weekend working and occasionally an ‘on call’ system covering emergency situations.
Local travel is required to various building sites.
Work requires use of protective devices such as masks, goggle, or gloves.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org