Assistant Teacher Early Education
Position Title: Assistant Teacher DI
Location: District I Early Education
Reports to: District Coordinator
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Assistant Teacher is to assist and provide a successful safe and supervised educational setting for children, while they are in the Head Start/Child care environment (classroom, outdoor play area and field trips). As well as promote the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of Head Start children. Encourage parent involvement in all aspects of the program. The development of individual goals for children, provide ongoing assessment on progress and facilitate transition to the next level of education. This accomplished through individualized plans for each child and family, including Ojibwe Language and Culture components.
• Loves children can wholeheartedly engage in working with and for them.
• Current CDA (must obtain within 1 year) and willingness to work on AA degree, in Early Childhood.
• CPR and first aid certified or (within 30days).
• Current mantoux (yearly) and physical (every two years).
• Able to lift 25lbs.
• All communications are potentially sensitive and are subject to Head Start confidentiality policy.
• Computer skills experience with various applications, such as word processing, e-mail and Internet.
• Projects and maintains an image of service and professionalism with a positive attitude and interacts easily as an integral part of the faculty and staff.
• Facilitate and encourage cultural activities and practices in a respectful and professional manner.
• Understanding of the relationship of the Early Education Program to the Mille Lacs Band Community also values and supports the mission of both.
• Sustained concentration and ability to handle multiple tasks often simultaneously.
• Head Start / Early Head Start experience.
• Head Start / Early Head Start Parent.
• Continued compliance of the Mille Lacs Band drug and alcohol policy.
• Employment is conditional upon pre-hire and continued compliance of the background check policy.
• Mandated reporter monitor and report suspected child abuse and neglect.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides input to the general and individualized daily lesson plans to meet the needs of children.
• Assists and implements general and individualized daily lesson plans.
• Supervise and monitor children at all times.
• Participate in regularly scheduled team meetings to plan for and deliver collaborative services across all components.
• Respond appropriately to crisis or emergency situations that may occur.
• Adapt curriculum to address and meet individual goals for children as identified in their individualized education plans.
• Assess individual and group needs attending to the special-needs, specific interests, strengths and concerns.
• Daily kneeling, stooping, bending and sitting on the floor, and occasional heavy lifting to attend
• Children’s needs. Including the physical ability to respond to children who are active; ensuring their safety or the safety of others in the environment.
• Provide an atmosphere that promotes and reinforces parental involvement in the classroom.
• Rides the bus, monitors the children, and interacts with parents at drop off and pick up times.
• Assists in setting up, sanitize and cleaning, laundry, daily preparation, and general classroom maintenance.
• Assist teacher in maintaining accurate records, including: assessments, IEP and IFSP documentation, screening, anecdotal observations, and other required forms.
• Attends training, family events, and staff meetings as required.
• Staffing and assignment are subject to change with the needs of the children and program.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492