Care Team Homemaker Companion
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
This position provides support with activities of daily living to individuals living independently. Duties performed may include however are not limited to light housekeeping, meal preparation and socialization. The homemaker works closely with the case manager and/or home care nurse to make sure clients receive the level of support needed to feel safe, comfortable and connected to their homes and communities.
• High school education or equivalent is preferred but not mandatory, must be willing to complete orientation and competency training for the position.
• CPR certification required, training will be provided if needed.
• Maintains privacy and confidentiality of client, client’s records and client’s living environment.
• Experience in and sensitivity to Native American culture.
• Attention to detail and demonstrated ability to prioritize and organize work effectively and efficiently, and demonstrate a positive attitude, high integrity and ethical awareness.
• Sensitivity and empathy to clients/families being served.
• Able to communicate effectively, including effective listening skills and written/verbal skills
• Able to work independently and as a team member. Attention to detail.
• Demonstrated ability to understand and carry out directions and instructions of written plan of care and document care given.
• Flexible, sensitive to the needs of others, reliable and able to cope with emergencies.
• Must have current valid driver’s license.
• Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a pre-employment background check, drug and alcohol test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide assistance with light housekeeping and laundry duties and other tasks per plan of care.
• Reports changes in physical and emotional condition to client case manager or home care nurse.
• Prepares meals as directed by the plan of care.
• Provide companionship to the client such as conversation, watching television or playing cards.
The homemaker will NOT perform any of the following:
• Paying bills or help with any financial management.
• Making purchases, including groceries as there is to be no handling of client money.
• Personal care services such as bathing, dressing, and shaving
• Any heavy lifting or transferring of clients
• Administering of any medications, ointments, eye drops, etc.
• Heavy duty household chores such as washing walls, waxing floors, washing windows, etc.
• Household repairs or maintenance
• Cut the fingernails or toenails of any client
• Work is performed indoors in a controlled climate area- the clients home or HHS office space.
• Nature of work is such that the employee experiences minimal stress.
• Hours are typically 8:00-5:00.
• Local travel is required to see clients.