Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
A Climate Specialist will be a key figure to help guide the Mille Lacs Band into a low-carbon economy and development, reduce or eliminate Criteria Pollutants and Hazardous Air Pollutants from the Mille Lacs Band environment, and to mitigate for other greenhouse gas production and emissions.
• Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in economics, ecology, chemistry, construction, or natural sciences, or a directly related field preferred OR
• Bachelor’s degree with 2.5 years of relevant experience OR
• Associates degree with 5 years of relevant experience OR
• High School degree or equivalent with 10 years of relevant experience
• Strong PC skills in a Windows environment, including word processing, spreadsheet and other applications
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with excellent attention to details
• Ability to handle multiple projects with changing priorities
• Capable of maintaining accurate records
• VERY strong statistical analysis and statistical modeling skills
• Knowledge of and sensitivity to the Mille Lacs Band culture
• Must be able to work independently and collaboratively
• Possess and maintains a valid Minnesota Driver’s License
• Must be able to work under pressure, manage multiple demands on time, and complete projects within timeframe and budget
• Must have current valid driver’s license.
• Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
• Background investigation required that shows no theft or fraud above a misdemeanor, no felony drug conviction and no sexual or crimes-against-a-person conviction at any level.
• A staff person with direct contact with or access to children in care must disclose the arrest, conviction, and applicant background information if that staff person:
(a) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed:
- a crime against a child;
- an act of physical or sexual abuse;
- a felony;
- the same or similar crimes as those in this subsection listed in the laws of another state or of the United States or of any Tribal law;
(b) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed any misdemeanor offense under Federal, State, or Tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children. The Licensing Committee may evaluate the nature and time of a misdemeanor assault charge as well as other types of misdemeanor crimes not specified in this section to determine whether employment is appropriate.
8 MLBSA § 1212(a-b).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Climate Specialist will work with the entire Department of Natural Resources to coordinate efforts in climate change.
• Identify and quantify climate pollutants for reduction and elimination.
• With community input, recommend set of policies to achieve climate pollutant reduction and elimination.
• Make regular meetings and reports with Tribal, Federal, State, and Local air quality, community and economic development, energy, and health regulatory agencies.
• Nature of work is such that incumbent may experience intermittent periods of moderate stress.
• Work is both indoor and outdoor
• Little threat of personal danger or risk.
• Hours are typically 8–5, but extra hours may be necessary to meet deadlines and maintain workload.
• Some local travel is required; travel out of state is minimal.