Early Learning Literacy Coach
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Early Learning Literacy Coach will work for Mille Lacs Early Education as a mentor and coach for classroom staff. The Early Learning Literacy Coach will observe classroom staff and meet with them to help them create and support strategies for obtaining early literacy success in the classroom. Finally, the Early Learning Literacy Coach will help educate the teaching staff on latest best practices for literacy pedagogy through bi-weekly meetings.
• Must have a Two Year Degree, a Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood Education or a related field is preferred.
• Experience in Head Start or Early Childhood classroom preferred, preferably in a tribal setting.
• Experience in creating and implementing new teaching strategies preferred.
• Must be able to maintain confidentiality of personal information about children, families, and staff.
• Strong communications skills are required.
• Strong organizational skills
• Must have drivers license and be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Any other special considerations such as:
• Must have drivers license
• Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a background check
• Must pass a Pre-employment drug & alcohol test.
• Grant-funded position. Position available only with grant funding.
• Background investigation required that shows no theft or fraud above a misdemeanor, no felony drug conviction and no sexual or crimes-against-a-person conviction at any level.
• A staff person with direct contact with or access to children in care must disclose the arrest, conviction, and applicant background information if that staff person:
(a) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed:
1) a crime against a child;
2) an act of physical or sexual abuse;
4) a felony;
5) the same or similar crimes as those in this subsection listed in the laws of another state or of the United States or of any Tribal law;
(b) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed any misdemeanor offense under Federal, State, or Tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children. The Licensing Committee may evaluate the nature and time of a misdemeanor assault charge as well as other types of misdemeanor crimes not specified in this section to determine whether employment is appropriate.
8 MLBSA § 1212(a-b).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide on-the-job guidance and advisement to early education classroom staff and other programmatic staff in the form of co-planning, modeling, observing and providing feedback.
• Review and help teachers in the implementation of developmentally appropriate classroom activities.
• Work closely with the appropriate staff, administrators and leadership teams to focus goals on early literacy outcomes.
• Assists in early literacy assessment and development of individualization plans for children
• Provide training to classroom staff and families as well as other program staff.
• Establish and maintain positive and productive relationships with staff, families, and the community.
• Collect, review and analyze literacy as it related to the literacy plan and program goals related to literacy as well as facilitates data review meetings
• Attend early literacy related trainings identified in the literacy plan and program goals
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Nature of work is such that incumbent experiences moderate stress.
• Work takes place indoors.
• Little threat of personal danger or risk.
• Local travel may be required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to email@example.com