Gda Dwendaagnanik (Peacemaker)
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The vision of Gda Dwendaagnananik (Peacemaker) is to provide a traditional conflict resolution process and provide cultural and spiritual resources to children and families. Through this process our hope is to give resolution and healing to the parties involved which will promote healthier life-styles and relationships. This role would directly work with foster care providers, children in out of home placement, and dispute resolution for the Court.
• High School Diploma is required with at one (1) year of post secondary formal education or equivalent experience is required.
• Bachelor’s degree in human services or other related field is preferred.
• Previous experience as a social worker, mediator, peacemaker, or probation officer with children and families in a public or private social service agency or court is required.
• Three (3) years of prior experience working with at-risk children and families is required.
• Ability to manage time effectively.
• Ability to communicate effectively in writing or orally.
• Five (5) years of sobriety is required and must maintain sobriety throughout employment.
• Advanced knowledge and experience working with Native American communities, culture, customs and cultural law is required.
• Must have current driver’s license, reliable personal transportation, proof of current insurance coverage, and insurability under the Band’s Auto Insurance Policy.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik has monthly face-to-face contact with all children in out of home placement and introduces them to culture, values, traditions, ceremonies of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik has monthly face-to-face contact with foster providers who has children in out of home placement and introduce them to culture, values, traditions, ceremonies of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik must participate in Child & Family Team meetings when requested in order to offer cultural/spiritual resolutions to conflict on the Team.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik must participate in Child & Family Team meetings when requested in order to provide cultural resources to the team in helping heal the family in a holistic approach.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik is responsible for mediating disputes using traditional Anishinaabe ceremonies for child custody proceedings as directed by the Court.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik is responsible in providing one (1) cultural outing a month for children in out of home placement. These outings could be fishing, spearing, harvest of maple sugar, rice harvesting, pow-wow, or any other cultural related activity.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik is responsible for conducting/organizing one (1) traditional Anishinaabe ceremony a week for children in out of home placement.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik is responsible being a cultural resource for the staff of Family Services.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik completes all the necessary paperwork in a strength-based manner and maintains accurate information on-line, ensuring that family demographic information is up-to-date, as well.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik collaborates with other necessary individuals the youth and family may have contact with, such as County Case Managers, Probation Officers, Judges, District Attorneys, Attorneys, Teachers, Physicians, etc.
• The Gda Dwendaagnanik must dress in a respectful manner and maintain a respectful demeanor and presentation at all times.
• Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
• Nature of work is such those incumbent experiences regular periods of moderate to high stress levels. Primary sources of stress deals with client issues and workload.
• Work environment will vary depending on programming.
• Moderate threat of personal danger or risk.
• Hours vary and are based off of client’s needs; this is a position that will have frequent after hours client contact and interactions.
• Local travel is required, limited travel outside the state is also required.