Home Renovation Carpenter (2 Positions)
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
This is a fulltime position funded through the Housing Initiative budget - to impact homes in need of renovation. The Home Renovation Carpenter will be required to possess the skills of a general carpenter.
• High School Diploma or GED required; Proof of journeyman status; to include a minimum of 4000 verifiable hours of experience in the building trades in the area of carpentry/cabinet making; OR a combination of two (2) years of verifiable occupationally significant vocational training and an apprentice program; and the ability to pass a carpentry skills assessment and a material estimation scenario is required.
• 3-5 years of residential construction required.
• Ability to interpret and create from sketches, blueprints and/or pictures to determine dimensions, layout work and estimate materials.
• Ability to operate equipment such as power tools, pneumatic tools, electronic equipment, scaffolding and motorized lifts.
• A strong understanding of the various hand tools used in the carpentry trade and the proper use of and the maintenance of these tools
• General knowledge of Plumbing, Electrical and Mechanical systems desired.
• Must be able to perform specialized refinishing tasks that would include, but is not limited to, Drywall repair and preparation, wood surface preparation, painting, staining and sealing as necessary.
• Ability to lift and carry 75 lbs.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test. If required to operate a Mille Lacs Band fleet vehicle a Valid Minnesota Driver’s license will be required and must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Driver’s Insurance Policy
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Must be able to - Interact with co-workers and other departments of the Mille Lacs Band in a respectful, courteous and professional manner.
• Must be able to complete assigned tasks with little or no supervision.
• Performs New Construction, Rehabilitation/Remodeling, Alterations and Repairs on projects, as assigned by the Home Renovation Carpenter Supervisor.
• Maintains strict adherence of all building codes, OSHA safety rules and ensures regulations are followed.
• Helps maintain inventory stock.
• Must ensure all cleaning materials, chemicals and equipment are used in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
• Must promote a safe work environment at all times.
• Must ensure the quality meets Mille Lacs Band standards.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Typical hours are Monday-Friday, 8am to 5pm; however, schedules may fluctuate due to weather and season.
• Little stress.
• Both in and outdoors.
• Risk or personal danger exposure is high.