Special Education Para Professional
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
Paraprofessionals work directly with students in special education to achieve their goals and provide support based on their IEP needs.
• Two year degree or a passing score on the Para Pro exam.
• Experience preferred but not necessary
• No supervisory experience needed
• Strong social emotional skills and ability to work in various environments.
• Ability to help students with their goals and accommodations directly related to their IEP and disability services.
• Strong to excellent communication skills necessary (verbal and written).
• Any other necessary documents.
• Preference for current valid driver’s license and insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
• Background investigation required that shows no theft or fraud above a misdemeanor, no felony drug conviction and no sexual or crimes-against-a-person conviction at any level.
• A staff person with direct contact with or access to children in care must disclose the arrest, conviction, and applicant background information if that staff person:
(a) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed:
1) a crime against a child;
2) an act of physical or sexual abuse;
4) a felony;
5) the same or similar crimes as those in this subsection listed in the laws of another state or of the United States or of any Tribal law;
(b) has a conviction of, has admitted to, has an adjudication of delinquency for, has been charged and is awaiting trial for, or a preponderance of the evidence indicates the person has committed any misdemeanor offense under Federal, State, or Tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children. The Licensing Committee may evaluate the nature and time of a misdemeanor assault charge as well as other types of misdemeanor crimes not specified in this section to determine whether employment is appropriate.
8 MLBSA § 1212(a-b).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• No supervision of other employees.
• AA degree or completion of two years of post-secondary education or a passing score on the Para Pro exam.
• Loves children and can whole heartedly engage in working with students with disabilities.
• Preference to have one year of experience in educational environment working with children.
• Willingness to maintain a high level of competence, exercise discrete judgement and honor confidentiality.
• Projects an image of service and professionalism with a positive attitude.
• Understanding of relationships of Nay Ah Shing programs to the Mille Lacs Community values and supports the position of both.
• Preferred experience, familiarity and ability to work with the diverse constituencies of Nay Ah Shing School.
• Interacts easily as part of the faculty and staff.
• Maintains consistent attendance to secure trust and relationships with students.
• Assists in understanding of performance goals and their application in the classroom.
• Keeps accurate data to be used in the creation of an IEP or interventions with children with disabilities.
• Works with and assists the special education coordinator, special education teachers and general education teachers.
• Works with students a minimum of 30 hours a week.
• Understands and follows confidentiality and Special education requirements.
• Participates in training and extra duties as assigned.
• 30 hours a week required. May have additional hours for transportation support, training or other duties as assigned.
• Moderate stress, Significant and frequent stress.
• Work is mostly indoors but outdoor activities and duties are anticipated.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to email@example.com