Position Title: Optician
Location: HHS-Health Services
Reports to: Optometrist
Grade Level: Market
Opening Date: January 11, 2024
Closing Date: Untill Filled
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The person filling this position will work closely with the optometrist to recommend specific eyewear, take measurements, fit and adjust glasses, and teach customers to properly wear and care for their glasses or contact lenses.
- Education and one to two experience as an optician, certification preferred.
- Understanding of the anatomy of the eye as well as normal, abnormal vision and perception.
- Current CPR certification or willingness to obtain within the first 90 days.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of the clinical team.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Knowledge of the laws and standards governing the ophthalmic field.
- Basic computer literacy with electronic medical record and Microsoft office.
- Must have current valid driver’s license.
- Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
- Must complete a pre-employment background check.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Use prescription information from the optometrist and the patient’s preferences, face shape and other factors to help select the appropriate pair of eyeglasses, frames and lenses.
- Takes accurate measurements of each patient’s face and optical details to ensure a comfortable and proper fit before ordering frames. Obtains and documents patient information and measurements of the ocular area.
- Give product recommendations to patients based on their vision needs and lifestyle, such as frame construction, lens material and lens coatings.
- Adjusting and fitting frames according to the prescriptions and customer's specifications, as well as to suit the customer's face. When prescription is delivered to patient adjusts new glasses using optical tools to get a closer and more accurate fit on the patient’s face.
- Instruct patients on how to use contact lenses by showing them how to clean the lenses, insert them, remove them easily and properly care for contact lenses.
- Preparing work orders for the optical technicians to use to manufacture the lenses.
- Keeping inventory on frames and contact lenses to ensure product variety and customer satisfaction. Create and maintains frame displays
- Educating customers on how to wear and maintain glasses and contact lenses.
- Maintains instruments and hand tools used in the office.
- Nature of work is such that incumbent experiences infrequent periods of moderate to high stress levels while dealing with clients, family members, and others.
- Work is almost exclusively in doors in a controlled climate area.
- Little threat of personal danger or risk, although working with certain patients may subject incumbent to periods of moderate to high stress levels.
- Hours are typically 8-5.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr.
Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492
e-mail to email@example.com