The purpose of the Family Healing to Wellness Court is to bring together healing services, cultural resources, and substance use treatment by using an enhanced team approach. Band children and families impacted by substance abuse and mental health disorders are better served by a cooperative process grounded in Mille Lacs Band culture and traditional teachings as an alternative to the usual child protection court process.
To be eligible for Noojimo’wiigamig Inaawanidiwag, an individual must be a parent, guardian, or custodian caring for a child who is either: (1) a Mille Lacs Band enrolled member, (2) eligible for membership in the Band, or (3) a Band member descendant, and the child must be the subject of a child protection case. The caregiver must also be:
- Diagnosed with a substance use disorder condition.
- Willing to follow treatment recommendations.
- Ready and able to comply with the program’s requirements.
- Willing to execute release to share of information with the Healing Journey Team.
- Not a violent offender or perpetrator of sexual abuse or felony child abuse.