Nutrition Services Coordinator
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
The Nutrition Services Coordinator is responsible to ensure proper planning, preparation, cooking and serving of food in a clean, orderly and sanitary manner, orders all food and kitchen supplies and supervises kitchen staff and On-the-Job Training (OJT) students. The Nutrition Services Coordinator also ensures all nutritional standards are met for the ages of children and programs serviced by Early Education and appropriate records are kept as required by state and federal agencies.
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Certification, degree or diploma from a Food Tech program.
• Three to five years of prior experience as a quality and quantity cook or combined education and experience equivalent required.
• One to three years of prior experience in a supervisory capacity.
• Knowledge of nutritional requirements and contents.
• Knowledge of and experience with safety rules and safe work practices for nutritional services area.
• Physically able to handle 50 lbs or more of large quantities of food.
• Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, vendors, others.
• Ability to maintain confidential nature of information.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Experience in and sensitivity to Native American culture.
• Ability to pass the Mille Lacs Band background check, and comply with the Drug and Alcohol policy.
• Must have a current valid driver’s license.
• Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a background check.
• Must pass a Pre-employment drug & alcohol test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversees the nutrition services for the Early Education East Lake and Lake Lena satellite programs.
• Responsible for evaluating and updating nutrition plans, ensuring 1/3 of the daily nutritional needs of the children are met.
• Performs a variety of tasks involved in the coordination and preparation of foods.
• Keeps records as required by Early Education, Mille Lacs Band, state and federal agencies to ensure continued funding.
• Planning menus, tracking meal counts, assess food quantity, and purchase the necessary food and nutritional needs.
• Handles all and assists administration with vendor issues related to food, supplies and equipment purchases.
• Provides a variety of foods including cultural and ethnic preferences.
• Prepares menus for the school newsletter.
• Ensures kitchen, serving area, storage and dining areas are clean and orderly.
• Supervises kitchen staff and OJT students, including schedules, staff meetings, work direction, performance appraisals and training.
• Provides the Early Education Coordinator and Commissioner of Education with monthly updates on the nutritional services area as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Nature of work is such that incumbent experiences infrequent periods of modest stress levels due to workload.
• Work is almost exclusively in doors in a controlled climate area. However, kitchen temperatures can become uncomfortable at times.
• May involve exposure to heat and humidity or hazards such as cuts and burns.
• Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
• Hours are typically 8-5, but possibly with some extra hours. May involve some evening or weekend work.
• Minimal local travel is required.