Staff Attorney (2 positions)
Any individual who receives an offer of employment or will receive a payroll check are required to submit to a drug and alcohol test as a condition of obtaining employment.
Mille Lacs Band Member/American Indian preference applies
Staff Attorney for Mille Lacs Band Legal Services. The office, as part of the Mille Lacs Band’s Department of Justice, provides legal representation to qualifying Mille Lacs Band members in criminal and civil matters venued in state and tribal court.
• Graduate from an accredited law school.
• Eligible to be licensed by Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe Bar.
• Licensed to practice law in the State of Minnesota.
• Experience in civil representation and juvenile court experience preferred.
• Prior courtroom and trial experience preferred.
• At least 1-3 years of progressive responsible legal experience.
• Ability to work well with Indian and non-Indian people.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to work well without close supervision and to assume immediate responsibility for case load.
• Compliance with Mille Lacs Band’s Drug and Alcohol policy.
• Unblemished background check.
• Insurable under Mille Lacs Band’s auto insurance policy.
• Any other special considerations such as:
• Must have drivers license
• Must be insurable under the Mille Lacs Band Drivers Insurance policy.
• Must pass a background check
• Must pass a Pre-employment drug & alcohol test.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Represent adult and juvenile Mille Lacs Band members in civil matters in state and tribal court during all stages of the legal proceedings.
• Represent Mille Lacs Band members with legal needs, in areas such as education, especially when it involves race discrimination, housing, public benefit programs, family law, including domestic violence, dissolution of marriage and child custody, preservation of income, wills, Indian Child Welfare Act, vehicle forfeitures, foster care payment denials, child support cases, conciliation court complaints regardless of the amount, harassment cases..
• Also provide representation in administrative appeals or other legal proceedings, including but not limited to matters involving eligibility for Band public housing, other housing matters involving the Band Housing Department, or public assistance administered by the Band, and to pursue legal remedies necessary to enforce decisions made in such proceedings.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Nature of work is such that incumbent experiences sustained periods of moderate to high levels of stress from workload, nature of work, or nature of interactions with others, both inside and outside of the Band.
• Work is almost exclusively in doors in a controlled climate area.
• Moderate threat of personal danger or risk.
• Hours are typically 8-5, but extra hours may be necessary to meet deadlines and maintain workload. May involve some evening or weekend working.
• Local travel is required, limited travel outside the state is also required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and employment application to:
Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe
43408 Oodena Dr., Onamia, MN 56359
Fax # (320) 532-7492 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org